An interesting WW
military pattern folding knife produced by the Fabrica Nacional de Toledo.
The undamaged scales are black horn over steel liners and
the knife is fitted with correct brass lanyard ring.
The knife features a rugged saw blade, a curved cutting
blade with teethed tip, a can opener, a punch, a flat screw driver and a single
The curved blade is stamped with last official mark of
the Fabrica, combining F, N & T letters under a royal crown, first appeared
The upper bolster is stamped *U 1-74 B*
The conditions are excellent mainly considering age and
type, the blades fold out and lock in place correctly and shows light overall
pitting as expected from age
The knife measures 12 cm when closed and main blade is 11
15th to 17th centuries, the Castillian city of Toledo in central Spain,
flourished with an exceptional blade making industry.
17th and the beginning of 18th century, a slow decrease of blade production
took place in Toledo, influenced in part by the reduction of orders coming from
individual customers and also by the imports of light French blades
The decreasing number of Toledo bladesmiths was a real problem for the Spanish
Army. Swords and sabres were still essential for Cavalry troops, as well as the
bayonet for the Infantry. The decreasing number of bladesmiths threatened the
supply of quality blades for troops.
Considering all of the above, in 1761 King Charles III of Spain dedicated the
foundation of a Royal Sword Factory in Toledo (Real Fábrica de Espadas de
Toledo), where all the bladesmiths of the city were ordered to congregate.
beginning of 20th century, only cavalry trooper swords and officer models for
all corps were produced. After Spanish Civil War, production was reduced to
officer swords only. Because of the reduced demand for quality swords, the
Fábrica closed in late 1970s. The two hundred-year history of blade forging
excellence had reached an end.